In order to get a license, all adults (18+) living in your home must get criminal record clearance. If you or any adult living in your home has a criminal record, you must apply for a background check and then get an exemption. If you already have criminal record clearance, you can transfer it to your new preschool.
This guide will teach you how to:
- Get criminal record clearance through LiveScan (fingerprinting)
- Get existing criminal record clearance transferred to a new facility
How to get criminal record clearance through Live Scan (fingerprinting)
If you (or someone else in your household) does not yet have fingerprint clearance through Live Scan, follow these steps:
Sign up to get Live Scan fingerprints using this website: http://www.l1enrollment.com/locations/?st=ca
- Click on "Click here to schedule online"
- "Schedule a new appointment"
- ORI: A0448
- OCA Number is your facility number. If you get an error in this step, then it means they have not loaded your facility number in the system yet and you will need to call in to schedule instead of doing online. If they still cannot locate your facility number (but you have it), go ahead and get fingerprinted. If you have your facility number, you can be sure that the State has it too.
Every person getting fingerprints done will need to fill out this form individually: http://www.cdss.ca.gov/cdssweb/entres/forms/English/LIC9163.PDF and bring two copies with them when they go to the Live Scan location for fingerprints.
Section specific instructions:
- Section 2: Check the box for
- For yourself (the director): "License, Certification, Applicant"
- If an adult that lives in your house: "Adult resident other than client"
- If a co-teacher: select “Employee”
- Section 3. Write in "Family Day Care"
- Section 6: Please make sure they fill in your facility number
- Section 7. Name is "[Your last name] Family Child Care Home" and list the address of the home.
Lastly, please remember to bring two completed forms and payment when you go for fingerprints! The Live Scan operator will give you one copy to keep.
- The price for Live Scan differs depending on where you get it done.
- Generally, locations accept payment through check or credit card.
- Check for spelling errors!
How to transfer existing criminal record clearance to a new facility
If you already have fingerprints and Live Scan clearance for your job, you can fill out a request to get your clearance transferred by filling out LIC 9182. Please make sure you check the box that says "PLEASE ALSO KEEP THIS INDIVIDUAL ASSOCIATED WITH ABOVE FACILITY/ORGANIZATION" so that you can ensure you are still cleared at your current job.
You will need to make sure that you also submit a copy of your LIC 508 Criminal Record Statement and a photocopy of your Driver’s License or ID.